Volumetric data specifications: GPM

Hello John and hello to everyone

This the new GPM/JAXA satellite data available today! These are 3D data i.e. volumetric with each node a number for some measurement. John you got a goldmine for research and discovery!

2B.GPM.DPRGMI.CORRA2014 3D Datasets: /DiagGroup/dset1, /MS/Input/ellipsoidBinOffset ,/MS/Input/lowestClutterFreeBin, /MS/Input/piaEffective, /MS/Input/piaEffectiveReliabFlag, /MS/Input/piaEffectiveSigma, /MS/Input/precipitationFlag, /MS/Input/stormTopAltitude, /MS/Input/stormTopBin, /MS/Input/surfaceRangeBin, /MS/Input/zeroDegBin, /MS/PSDparamLowNode, /MS/airPressure, /MS/airTemperature, /MS/cloudIceWaterCont, /MS/cloudLiqWaterCont, /MS/envParamNode, /MS/liqMassFracTrans, /MS/liqRateFracTrans, /MS/phaseBinNodes, /MS/pia, /MS/precipTotPSDparamHigh, /MS/precipTotRate, /MS/precipTotRateSigma, /MS/precipTotWaterCont, /MS/precipTotWaterContSigma, /MS/simulatedBrightTemp, /MS/surfEmissivity, /MS/vaporDensity, /NS/PSDparamLowNode, /NS/airPressure /NS/airTemperature, /NS/cloudIceWaterCont, /NS/cloudLiqWaterCont, /NS/correctedReflectFactor, /NS/envParamNode, /NS/liqMassFracTrans, /NS/liqRateFracTrans, /NS/phaseBinNodes, /NS/precipTotPSDparamHigh, /NS/precipTotRate, /NS/precipTotRateSigma, /NS/precipTotWaterCont, /NS/precipTotWaterContSigma, /NS/simulatedBrightTemp, /NS/surfEmissivity, /NS/vaporDensity

2A.GPM.Ka.V520140829 3D Datasets: /HS/DSD/binNode, /HS/DSD/phase, /HS/Experimental/sigmaZeroProfile, /HS/FLG/flagEcho, /HS/PRE/zFactorMeasured, /HS/SLV/epsilon, /HS/SLV/flagSLV, /HS/SLV/precipRate, /HS/SLV/precipWaterIntegrated, /HS/SLV/zFactorCorrected, /HS/SRT/PIAalt, /HS/SRT/PIAweight, /HS/SRT/RFactorAlt, /HS/VER/attenuationNP, /HS/VER/piaNP, /MS/DSD/binNode, /MS/DSD/phase, /MS/Experimental/sigmaZeroProfile, /MS/FLG/flagEcho, /MS/PRE/zFactorMeasured, /MS/SLV/epsilon, /MS/SLV/flagSLV, /MS/SLV/precipRate, /MS/SLV/precipWaterIntegrated, /MS/SLV/zFactorCorrected, /MS/SRT/PIAalt,/MS/SRT/PIAweight, /MS/SRT/RFactorAlt, /MS/VER/attenuationNP, /MS/VER/piaNP

2A.GPM.Ku.V520140829 3D Datasets: /NS/DSD/binNode, /NS/DSD/phase, /NS/Experimental/sigmaZeroProfile, /NS/FLG/flagEcho, /NS/PRE/zFactorMeasured, /NS/SLV/epsilon, /NS/SLV/flagSLV, /NS/SLV/precipRate, /NS/SLV/precipWaterIntegrated, /NS/SLV/zFactorCorrected, /NS/SRT/PIAalt, /NS/SRT/PIAweight, /NS/SRT/RFactorAlt, /NS/VER/attenuationNP, /NS/VER/piaNP

Comments

Noteworthy

/MS/airPressure, /MS/airTemperature, /MS/cloudIceWaterCont, /MS/cloudLiqWaterCont,

/MS/precipTotRate, /MS/precipTotRateSigma, /MS/precipTotWaterCont, /MS/precipTotWaterContSigma,

/MS/surfEmissivity, /MS/vaporDensity,

/NS/airPressure /NS/airTemperature, /NS/cloudIceWaterCont, /NS/cloudLiqWaterCont,

/NS/precipTotRate, /NS/precipTotRateSigma, /NS/precipTotWaterCont,

/NS/surfEmissivity, /NS/vaporDensity

Comment Source:Noteworthy /MS/airPressure, /MS/airTemperature, /MS/cloudIceWaterCont, /MS/cloudLiqWaterCont, /MS/precipTotRate, /MS/precipTotRateSigma, /MS/precipTotWaterCont, /MS/precipTotWaterContSigma, /MS/surfEmissivity, /MS/vaporDensity, /NS/airPressure /NS/airTemperature, /NS/cloudIceWaterCont, /NS/cloudLiqWaterCont, /NS/precipTotRate, /NS/precipTotRateSigma, /NS/precipTotWaterCont, /NS/surfEmissivity, /NS/vaporDensity

Documentation:

GPM Algorithms

Please see page 7

Comment Source:Documentation: [GPM Algorithms](http://pps.gsfc.nasa.gov/Documents/ATBD_GPM_DPR_n3_dec15.pdf) Please see page 7

John we could make technotes and educational materials since this data guides towards an unprecedented view of the planet and requires new forms of thinking and research. Sort of an open source education that you have pioneered over the years.

The sheer size of the data is humbling.

This data is available on daily and several hours periods, I will publish the schedules.

I would like to focus on water.

Comment Source:John we could make technotes and educational materials since this data guides towards an unprecedented view of the planet and requires new forms of thinking and research. Sort of an open source education that you have pioneered over the years. The sheer size of the data is humbling. This data is available on daily and several hours periods, I will publish the schedules. I would like to focus on water.

This is one orbital of volumetric data:

2A.GPM.Ka.V520140829.20140904-S014128-E021127

Aug 29th (I just randomly picked), Precipitation Rate (/HS/SLV/precipRate).

The orbital 3D volumetric data:

1. 2570 slices along the orbital
    2. 24 measurements with of the direction of sweep (Azimuth?)
    3. 88 elevation ECHOs i.e. 88 measurements high into atmosphere

88x24 2D matrix heightxwidth

Dara

Comment Source:This is one orbital of volumetric data: [2A.GPM.Ka.V520140829.20140904-S014128-E021127](http://files.lossofgenerality.com/2A.GPM.Ka.V520140829.20140904-S014128-E021127.jpg) Aug 29th (I just randomly picked), Precipitation Rate (/HS/SLV/precipRate). The orbital 3D volumetric data: 1. 2570 slices along the orbital 2. 24 measurements with of the direction of sweep (Azimuth?) 3. 88 elevation ECHOs i.e. 88 measurements high into atmosphere 88x24 2D matrix heightxwidth Dara

Impressive already, Dara !

"This data is available on daily and several hours periods,"

Is it your understanding that all the data is fleeting and only available in real-time?

I have heard that since there is so much data, that it may not be cost-effective to store it. That what scientists are doing is real-time analysis on the incoming data. No hope for regression testing I presume. But I don't think my info is definitive.

Comment Source:Impressive already, Dara ! "This data is available on daily and several hours periods," Is it your understanding that all the data is fleeting and only available in real-time? I have heard that since there is so much data, that it may not be cost-effective to store it. That what scientists are doing is real-time analysis on the incoming data. No hope for regression testing I presume. But I don't think my info is definitive.

yes there is a real-time data, wanna code against it?

Comment Source:yes there is a real-time data, wanna code against it?

Hello Paul

This data makes the planet's atmosphere into an un-controlled laboratory environment to study physics as such perhaps the first time in human history.

Due to the planetary scale and systems, I think we are about to see real physics at work and real dynamical systems never seen before. This is why I am knocking on John's door.

Dara

Comment Source:Hello Paul This data makes the planet's atmosphere into an un-controlled laboratory environment to study physics as such perhaps the first time in human history. Due to the planetary scale and systems, I think we are about to see real physics at work and real dynamical systems never seen before. This is why I am knocking on John's door. Dara