Laplacian of precipitation data

Hello John and hello to everyone

John would the Laplacian of the precipitation data give us clues about the sinks and sources for the water transport on the planet?

I would say there is finite constant amounts of water (correct?) and therefore conserved then the Laplacian should help us understand where the sink and sources are. Laplacian is performed on splined (long, lat, time) volumetric data.

Most importantly am I saying these things correctly?

Dara

Comments

I just learned that the data has actually elevation

(long, lat, elevation, time)

At each entry amount of water is measured by the GPM satellite.

So in this case I would just extend the Laplacian with one more double-derivative for elevation?

Comment Source:I just learned that the data has actually elevation (long, lat, elevation, time) At each entry amount of water is measured by the GPM satellite. So in this case I would just extend the Laplacian with one more double-derivative for elevation?

GPM satellite also gives the crystallization data, I believe for elevations. And I found out that there is a link between snowfall and El Nino:

Snowfall and El Nino

How could I have equations with both water and snow variable included?

How in physics the snowfall is modelled: drop in entropy of a large regions?

Dara

Comment Source:GPM satellite also gives the crystallization data, I believe for elevations. And I found out that there is a link between snowfall and El Nino: [Snowfall and El Nino](http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/sjt/hydro/ENSOsnow.pdf) How could I have equations with both water and snow variable included? How in physics the snowfall is modelled: drop in entropy of a large regions? Dara

Dara, I looked at the snowfall paper. El Ninos will definitely lead to warmer winter weather in Texas, and so the amount of snowfall should be less. It is probably a real correlation but I am not sure how much more discriminating evidence it would introduce.

Comment Source:Dara, I looked at the snowfall paper. El Ninos will definitely lead to warmer winter weather in Texas, and so the amount of snowfall should be less. It is probably a real correlation but I am not sure how much more discriminating evidence it would introduce.

Thanx Paul, do you know how in a mix of air, rain and snow the physicist define the equations for rain and snow?

Let's assume the earth does not absorb water

D

Comment Source:Thanx Paul, do you know how in a mix of air, rain and snow the physicist define the equations for rain and snow? Let's assume the earth does not absorb water D

Dara, I don't know all the details, but the climate scientist Curry has a new book out on clouds where some of the math is worked out for condensation and nucleation of droplets and ice crystals.

Having an interest in this based on my background as a crystal grower, I was amused how Bose-Einstein statistics was misused in one section. I don't think I will buy the book.

Comment Source:Dara, I don't know all the details, but the climate scientist Curry has a new book out on clouds where some of the math is worked out for condensation and nucleation of droplets and ice crystals. Having an interest in this based on my background as a crystal grower, I was amused how Bose-Einstein statistics was misused in one section. I don't think I will buy the book.

I was amused how Bose-Einstein statistics was misused in one section. I don’t think I will buy the book.

Then I leave it to John to give us guidelines for such condensation equations or at least some hint of how to start.

We are now reading the data from the GPM satellites and process the data but it looks like a mesh, we have not got the entire data yet.

I keep you posted

Dara

Comment Source:>I was amused how Bose-Einstein statistics was misused in one section. I don’t think I will buy the book. Then I leave it to John to give us guidelines for such condensation equations or at least some hint of how to start. We are now reading the data from the GPM satellites and process the data but it looks like a mesh, we have not got the entire data yet. I keep you posted Dara