Stub - War

Created an entry for War in the Stubs page.

Very very stubby, but I wanted to raise the fact that war is also a serious environmental problem.

Note there was no appropriate category for this page.

I also found a lack of appropriate categories for some of the other stubs I created. Another day, I will make suggestions for category enhancements.

Comments

Added some more material to the page. Here is the full text.

In addition to causing social destruction and loss of human life, war is a major source of environmental destruction.

When looking ahead to the future, there is a prospect for a nasty positive feedback loop, in which extreme weather events lead to resource shortages, leading to wars for control of resources, causing further damage to the environment.

Furthermore, the maintenance of a large military involves substantial consumption of resources, including the burning of substantial amounts of fossil fuels. We should also consider the amount of carbon that is injected into the atmosphere for the process of constructing fighter jets, etc.

Therefore, even from a purely environmental perspective, there is an urgent social need to promote international cooperation, elimination of wars, and reductions in military expenditure.

Comment Source:Added some more material to the page. Here is the full text. * * * In addition to causing social destruction and loss of human life, **war** is a major source of environmental destruction. When looking ahead to the future, there is a prospect for a nasty positive feedback loop, in which extreme weather events lead to resource shortages, leading to wars for control of resources, causing further damage to the environment. Furthermore, the maintenance of a large military involves substantial consumption of resources, including the burning of substantial amounts of fossil fuels. We should also consider the amount of carbon that is injected into the atmosphere for the process of constructing fighter jets, etc. Therefore, even from a purely environmental perspective, there is an urgent social need to promote international cooperation, elimination of wars, and reductions in military expenditure.
    edited January 2013

It occurred to me that war, and military spending, are such major factors in shaping our relationship to the environment, that any project such as ours which aims to provide a synoptic view of major environmental issues, can hardly turn a blind eye to the matter.

So why wouldn't there be a page about war. I know it's tricky, because by default these issues become impassioned and subjective. But the objective issues are still there. And can't we adopt a scientific approach, even to questions that we feel strongly about.

I tried to be neutral and objective, and the elementary conclusion above appears to be inescapable.

What do you guys think? Should I take it down, and/or put it into a blog article?

Comment Source:It occurred to me that war, and military spending, are such major factors in shaping our relationship to the environment, that any project such as ours which aims to provide a synoptic view of major environmental issues, can hardly turn a blind eye to the matter. So why wouldn't there be a page about war. I know it's tricky, because by default these issues become impassioned and subjective. But the objective issues are still there. And can't we adopt a _scientific_ approach, even to questions that we feel strongly about. I tried to be neutral and objective, and the elementary conclusion above appears to be inescapable. What do you guys think? Should I take it down, and/or put it into a blog article?
    edited January 2013

I removed the last sentence from the wiki page, because now I am wondering about the extent to which conclusions belong in a wiki page. Anyhow, it is an easy conclusion that the reader can make on their own.

One the other hand, we wouldn't shy away from stating some mathematical conclusions i.e. theorems in a page about a mathematical topic. Maybe we need to modulate the concentration of conclusions, depending on what we perceive to be the risks of our own bias, or the likelihood of the article being misread.

Comment Source:I removed the last sentence from the wiki page, because now I am wondering about the extent to which conclusions belong in a wiki page. Anyhow, it is an easy conclusion that the reader can make on their own. One the other hand, we wouldn't shy away from stating some mathematical conclusions i.e. theorems in a page about a mathematical topic. Maybe we need to modulate the concentration of conclusions, depending on what we perceive to be the risks of our own bias, or the likelihood of the article being misread.

War is an important element of human ecology. It was an important population check.

Darfur was perhaps the first recent war driven by climate change. It also worsened the ecologic situation (deforestation).

Sometimes I think we should formalize war to prevent escalation and environmental damage: Send all those testosteron confused young males and their elderly hate preachers to some restricted place, naked, where they can happily kill each other with sticks and stones.

Comment Source:War is an important element of human ecology. It was an important population check. Darfur was perhaps the first recent war driven by climate change. It also worsened the ecologic situation (deforestation). Sometimes I think we should formalize war to prevent escalation and environmental damage: Send all those testosteron confused young males and their elderly hate preachers to some restricted place, naked, where they can happily kill each other with sticks and stones.

Feeling a little misanthropic today?

Comment Source:Feeling a little misanthropic today?
    edited January 2013

I went searching around for data on military fuel consumption. Here is one quote, from a 2010 article called How Much Does the Pentagon Pay for a Gallon of Gas? in the NDIA technology magazine:

The Pentagon devours 300,000 barrels of oil daily — about 1.5 percent of total U.S. consumption of 21 million barrels a day.

Though, on another level, they have contributed to the sober assessment of the reality of climate change.

Comment Source:I went searching around for data on military fuel consumption. Here is one quote, from a 2010 article called <a href="http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/archive/2010/April/Pages/HowMuchforaGallonofGas.aspx">How Much Does the Pentagon Pay for a Gallon of Gas?</a> in the NDIA technology magazine: > The Pentagon devours 300,000 barrels of oil daily — about 1.5 percent of total U.S. consumption of 21 million barrels a day. Though, on another level, they have contributed to the sober assessment of the reality of climate change.

Serendipity again. I was just thinking yesterday that I should revisit the "nuclear winter" issue from the 1970s.

Comment Source:Serendipity again. I was just thinking yesterday that I should revisit the "nuclear winter" issue from the 1970s.

Feeling a little misanthropic today?

Thursday is my misanthropism day. :-) Plus, I read "All Quiet on the Western Front" last Sunday. :-( But 2/3 of my comments were serious.

Comment Source:> Feeling a little misanthropic today? Thursday is my misanthropism day. :-) Plus, I read "All Quiet on the Western Front" last Sunday. :-( But 2/3 of my comments were serious.